Sunday 24 December 2017

Tassel Earrings | DIY Christmas Present

Tassels have become a really big trend of 2017, whether it's on a jumper or in your ears, the fashion community is loving them! However, due to this trend being in its peak this Christmas, the items are still fairly pricey, so I decided to DIY a pair of tasseled earrings to give as a little extra stocking filler that costed me nothing to make! These earrings would be perfect for a friend who is always keeping up with the latest trends, or even a chic mum or auntie.



To create these, it was really simple and all you need is:
  • Embroidery Thread. You could also use normal sewing thread, however, when I tried this I found that it tangled and knotted really easily. For reference, I used ivory embroidery thread to the length of 626cm, which was halved to 350cm per tassel and 13cm as a tie to secure all the threads together. However, it really depends on how long and thick you want your tassel to be.
  • Jump Rings. You will need a total of 4 jump rings (2 per earring) to attach the tassels to the earring.
  • Earring Backs. I personally used a kidney ear wire back as they were the only earring style I had available to me
Luckily, I had all these supplies at home as I used to really enjoy making my own jewellery, so I didn't have to buy anything. But, it wouldn't be expensive to get any of these, and probably still cheaper than buying a pre-made pair. You could also get your earring back from an old pair of earrings that you no long use, just as long as you sterilise them before giving them to someone else!


Step 1: Start by folding the length of your total thread in half to create two pieces.

Step 2: Lay your hand flat and tuck the end of one of your threads under your thumb pressed against your forefinger, wrap the thread around your 4 fingers until you reach the end. If you want shorter tassels, wrap the thread around less of your fingers.

Step 3: Gently slide the continuous loop of thread off of your fingers. Take your shorter length of thread and wrap it around the top of your loop until it feels secure, then tie it off.

Step 4: Attach one of the jump rings through your smaller loop that you just made using the tie. You may need plyers to do this step as I found the jump rings very hard to push apart.

Step 5: Attach the other jump ring to the previous jump ring and your earring back, before closing it shut making sure the ends are close together to ensure it won't fall apart.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig