Tuesday 31 October 2017

Cher Horowitz | DIY Halloween Costume

Happy Halloween!

This year, I decided to embrace my inner preppy school girl and dress as Cher Horowitz from the film, Clueless. It's one of my favourite films which I can watch over and over and not get bored of. But there was no way, I was just going to order a pre-made costume off the internet because that would be too easy, right? So, about a week ago I set myself the challenge of making the costume from scratch! WHY?! 

The fabric was so hard to find, I mean I thought yellow tartan would be all the rage and in such high demand. Turns out it's not that popular. In the end, I managed to locate a grey tartan that incorporated mustard checks from Calico & Co; which I think actually makes the outfit better as it means I can style the pieces separately with different garments into my everyday wardrobe. 


My grandma really supports my sewing and fashion passion by giving me the patterns that come included with the magazine, Prima. I used two of these Prima patterns to create the outfit; the skirt is from April 2017 magazine and the jacket is from March 2016 edition. Although, I did alter the jacket pattern to shorten the hem as it was originally a coat length and I added sleeves from a previous project. 


Overall I would say that the patterns give a good finished product, however, to achieve that is extremely difficult. The skirt pattern was actually pretty simple to follow and I love the way it fits. The jacket on the hand was practically impossible! The instructions or lack thereof were confusing and frustrating; I felt like every time I took a step forward, I would almost certainly have to take one back and unpick the previous work.


Because I thought the outfit was looking more Britney Spears in the music video, 'Baby One More Time' with the grey being the main colour, I embellished the back of the jacket with Cher's most famous quote "Ugh, as if!" with beading, hand embroidery and applique. I personally believe, this design makes the garment more modern as denim jackets are currently very trendy which are often heavily decorated as such. 


I styled the co-ord set with a plain white t-shirt from George, Asda and a mustard cardigan with black piping from H&M. My shoes are from New Look and these socks are just old ones from primary school days, but you can probably find these in any back to school range. I also teamed the look with bright yellow nail polish from Rimmel, this particular shade is called 'Chin Up, Buttercup'.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig